Wednesday, July 23, 2014

PALOOZA WEEK: Media Day Interview - (Goodfellas) Rocco Lombardo

Q.     You’ve been a captain/owner of teams before. This time the role kind of fell in your lap. What does it mean to you to be in charge of a storied organization like the Goodfellas?
A.      It’s refreshing to take hold of the reigns of a team again, and I couldn’t be happier with the team I have around me. If it weren’t for Allen as my Co-Captain we’d still be at square one, his ambition has helped us gain confidence. The last championship for us was Wiffle 6 and we plan on taking the title this year in Wiffle 8.
 
Q.     Last year you guys seemed to take it on the chin. Had a mistake filled first game and never really seemed to recover. What adjustments have you guys made for this year?
A.      For starters I would have appreciated a “No Homo” comment before the “taking it on the chin” statement. As you and everyone else in the league knew last year we weren’t on this planet during the tournament. With that being said I’ve set rules for us this year and our players have made improvements mentally in their focus and physically for performance (ex: Mazzochi turning into a fucking silverback gorilla). Allen and Justin’s knowledge of the game will keep us calm, cool and collected when and if we ever find ourselves down. I 100% trust this team.
 
Q.     Does your boss, “Super Steve”, know you’re a wiffleball legend? And if not, why?
A.      I’m upset you would bring Satan into a conversation about this amazing tournament but, yes we’ve had conversations about it only because of my request off from working in Hell. That is the extent of it; don’t really like conversations with the devil.
 
Q.     On paper it appears your team’s biggest hole is pitching. How do you plan to deal with that need and do you have any alternate plans should you need to adjust on the fly?
A.      Allen is our starter and a damn good one. Brian and I will take the other roles. We have a secret weapon if need be.
 
Q.     How do you feel about playing for a cash prize this year?
A.      Have you ever heard Shane McMahon’s WWE entrance theme? Yeah that’s what we’re about, if you haven’t I suggest giving it a listen.
 
Q.     What do you think can be done, if anything, to improve the reach and publicity of this tournament?
A.      Something as simple as you making the website is a start, I can post on forums if you’d like and for the small amount maybe we could do a radio advertisement in the future.
 
Q.     From “the Derecho”, to the creation of the “Wiffle Torch”, to title game no-hitters, and anywhere in between, what is your favorite Wifflepalooza memory?
A.      Well I do remember being 15 years old and riding my bike to Jakes house to help dig dirt for the mounds and set up the fields. The best memory though has to be my first title with the Flapacamingos in Wiffle 5. We had a great team and I’ll always remember

No comments:

Post a Comment