Tuesday, July 22, 2014

PALOOZA WEEK: Media Day Interview - (Flapacamingos) Al Etter


Q.       You have been a central figure in WIfflepalooza for the past 8 tournaments now.  What has that meant to you to be a part of something like this?
A.     I think anytime you get to be staple in something so popular and enjoyed that's always a good thing. It means a lot that people continue to enjoy the tournament and want to keep it going for years to come.

Q.      As being one of the best players in Wifflepalooza, ranking at or near the top in almost all categories, do you feel there is an added pressure going into the tournament to stay at that level?
A.    I would say that there's always pressure when you're playing in Wifflepalooza. It's a tournament unlike any other. You can prepare for months and if things don't go right it can all be over in 3 hours. Things move fast and when there's an expectation to win as there is with us, yeah I'd say there's always pressure, but it's a good thing.

Q.      The Flapacamingos have tallied three championships over the past 7 years, most in tournament history.  With that being said, is there a certain attitude that goes into the team that has become expected of a Flapac player?
A.    I'd say the only expectation I have of teammates is to bring it every day. Sure as a franchise we have an expectation to win, but all you can really ask of individuals is to keep a good mindset and give 1000%

Q.       There is always talking going on and of late its been between the Goons, Monstars and some of the Flapacs players.  Do you feel that this is due to a possible target on your back? And what does this add to tournament time when you all take the field?
A.    I'd say that if you have a target on your back to people you've been doing things right. As far as the Goons and Monstars specifically I consider a lot of those guys really good friends, so the smack talk really doesn't bother me. I find it humorous and just fuel to the fire.

Q.      How do you feel about playing for a cash prize this year?
A.    I love it. I've been wanting to do it for years, I'm glad it's finally a reality.

Q.      What do you think can be done, if anything, to improve the reach and publicity of this tournament?
A.    I just think we need to keep the growth progressing as it is now. Every year we gain players, via either new teams enterring or turnover on current teams. The social media accounts continue to grow and our reach is spreading still. I love the way things are moving.

Q.       From “the Derecho”, to the creation of the “Wiffle Torch”, to title game no-hitters, and anywhere in between, what is your favorite Wifflepalooza memory?
A.    Well all three titles are at the top of the list. But as far as individual moments probably Matt (Bocchese) and myself going back-to-back to tie the playoff game against Purple Drank Squad at the death in WP5. That changed the whole day's outlook and I feel it spurred us on to win the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment