Wednesday, July 26, 2017

MLW Network Exclusive: Player's Tribune - Jake Lambert, 5 years later - Remembering The Derecho.

2005. 2012. 2012. Katrina. Sandy. Derecho. Three storms, three natural disasters. Only one happy ending. All three of these storms had devastating effects on their communities, the country, and the national psyche. Recovery is hard in the face of such gloomy circumstances. New Orleans and the Jersey coastline still have not recovered from the shit that was endured, as they continue to remain shitholes on par with Chernobyl. However, Wifflepalooza and the Willie J. Huff Memorial complex, with all the odds stacked against it have not only survived, but thrived.

                On this the 5 year anniversary of the devastating Derecho that rolled through on a quiet and anticipatory night, I have been asked to reflect and comment on this anniversary. As it occurred literally in my own backyard. It was six in the evening and Al, Ricci, Pat and myself were putting the finishing touches on Field 3. And I can say to this day when finished it was the best the complex had ever looked to this day. We all went our separate ways and settled in to prepare for the coming day, Wifflepalooza VI. Then in the middle of the night I awoke, like Ms. Sera at a clam bake, in a pool of sweat. The power was out and the winds were howling. I thought nothing of it, just a passing storm rolling through. I awoke to the sight of my neighbor hauling an entire uprooted tree down the street with his truck. It was at this point I sighed and thought to myself “Fuck.”
                I walked to my backyard, through a brush and sticks in what looked like a recently cleared forest. And when I made it to the back what I saw from left to right was this: the Field 2 fence was completely uprooted and all over the field. The fence on Field 1 was surprisingly intact. The wall however, was another story. As in there was literally no wall, just five bare posts. I was half expecting to see Ronald Reagan standing in front of it with hundreds of Germans tearing it down. And then there was Field 3, or I should say there was a lack of Field 3. I saw no signs that there was ever a field there at all, even though I distinctly remember constructing and preparing it less than 12 hours earlier. Upon closer inspection of the missing wall I suspected the pieces had flown into the woods, however all I could find was one small triangular piece of plywood, no bigger than home plate. I looked and to this day there have never been any pieces of that original wall ever found on the complex or in its surrounding areas.
                Then as I went to check on the remains of Field 3 I realized it had ended up in the woods, and all that would have to be done would be to pull it out and put the fence back into the ground. My next decision was to call Al. first call, no answer. Second call, no answer. Third call, no answer. Al’s history with phones is like Ray Rice’s wife, it’s taken a beating over the years. I knew I wouldn’t be able to talk to the commissioner until he arrived in person. I did what I could until the reinforcement arrived. Ricci showed up with Bocchese, and we all went straight to work. Al eventually showed and we reconstructed everything we could as best as we could with what we had and the time we had to do it. As we were in the rebuilding process, out of the woods we saw six men walking towards us through the fields. It was the Monstars. They had walked here on foot to come and help us with putting the tournament back together. And with their help we were able to fix everything and were ready to put on another tournament, this time it would be one for the ages, regardless of who would win. There was only one problem, would anyone actually show up amidst the chaos and carnage that hadn’t beseeched Vineland since the Italians kicked the living shit out of the KKK and forced them to leave town (and coincidently take up residence in the bigger shithole of Millville).
                Slowly one by one, car by car, team by team, people began to arrive. Not the full eight teams that we were anticipating, but six full teams showed. The fight for the most prized trophy in sports history was back on. The tournament went on as most do with the Goodfellas eventually winning their first and only trident, in what turned out to be an exciting set of semifinal and final games.
                Wifflepalooza had survived a natural disaster and the tournament continues to this day, with Wifflepalooza XI being held at the end of July. There will be many people at that tournament who did not experience that tragedy, and who do not know what was endured. But for those of us who lived through it we now can look back and say we were stronger than the storm. 



Jake Lambert
Contributor

No comments:

Post a Comment